From a Target collaborator to styling First Lady Michelle Obama, Jason Wu is a savvy business man and all encompassing fashion designer. His collections are never one note, with each collection bringing a new side to this daring designer. This Spring 2012, Wu brought unique fabrics and embellishments to push the envelope while remaining prim and proper. Read on to learn more about his life, and his work!
A Bit of Background
- Born on September 27, 1982, in Tawain.
- Later moved to Vancouver, British Colombia, Canada at the age of nine and attended Eaglebrook School in Deerfield, Massachusetts.
- He learned how to sew by designing and sewing for dolls and went on to study sculptures in Tokyo.
- He followed this career path, by creating a freelance doll clothing company for Intergrity Toys with two lines, “Jason Wu Dolls”, and “Fashion Royalty”.
- One year later at the ripe age of seventeen he was named creative director of Integrity Toys.
- During his senior year of high school he decided to become a fashion designer and later studied at Parsons The New School for Design.
- Jason Wu became a household name at 26, when First Lady Michelle Obama, chose his white chiffon dress for the inauguration ball.
- In an interview with InStyle magazine, Wu admits that his go-to karaoke song is “Independent Women” by Destiny’s Child (which I had to include just because I thought it was too funny!)
Outfit Number One
I don’t even know where to start with this look, as I love the color, cut and styling! The peplum is perfectly proportioned with a tight top and ultra feminine with the addition of a bow belt.
To recreate this look start with a pink peplum skirt, add a lace tanktop and synch the waist with a black bow belt. For accessories keep it simple, with black Steve Madden wedges, a striped bag and darling Kate Spade black and white earrings.
Outfit Number Two
This next look is edgy while still remaining sophisticated. Yet, I wondered how many of us girls would rock a matching bralet short combo, while strutting down the street. So this next look, took a bit of liberty and edge on Jason’s design.
I feel that this look combines a more real life way to wear the essence of the second look! Now I’ve already done a post on crop tops, and this is a way to add some toughness to an otherwise girly piece. Starting with a black crop top, add high waisted cut offs, sparkly sneakers, and edgy accessories!
Outfit Number Three
This last look was chosen simply because I love the pairing of a pussy bow blouse and high waisted shorts! This look would be perfect for a more casual office setting, or cocktails with the girls!
To get this look start with a slightly sheer pussy bow blouse, and tuck it into a pair of high waisted black shorts. For shoes try fun ankle wedges , and keep the accessories basic with a clutch, bracelets and dangly earrings.
What do you think of Jason Wu’s Spring collection? Would you imitate any of these looks? Let me know in a comment below!
*Sparkle On and Wear Bows*