Karen Walker, the noted New Zealand fashion designer, started her company with only one hundred New Zealand dollars to sew her first shirt. Over the years she has grown and has done it again with a stunningly progressive and patterned collection. Whether it’s boyish, ultra floral or a bit of the forties, there is something for every girl to love! Read on to learn more about the woman behind this fun and summery collection!
A Bit of Background
- She then opened two stores in 1995, and three years later began selling to Barneys New York.
- That year she also showed her first runway collection and became regarded ad one of New Zealand’s highest profile and international design talents.
- Walker is married to Mikhail Gherman, a well known advertising creative director, along with managing the Karen Walker brand.
- She has given her collections fun and original names such as “Young, Willing and Eager”, “Karen to the Rescue”, “Victory Garden”, “Queenie Was a Dog”, “Karen in TV Land”, “Liberal and Miserable”, “Dough and Dynamite” and “Living with Cannibals and Other Adventures”.
- She has a variety of celebrity clients such as Bjork, Sienna Miller, Alexa Chung, Liv Tyler, Rihanna and Jennifer Lopez.
- Today she has expanded her brand to include sunglasses, jewelry, shoes and paints.
- In 2011 Karen signed a partnership with Anthropology, allowing her lower priced line “Hi There”, to be sold in up to 164 stores in the United States.
Outfit Number One
This first look is a playful combination of feminine and boyish with the contrast of the patterned pants, and the oxfords and boyfriend blazer.
To get the look start with a navy blazer, a white button up shirt, and a floral pair of pants. For shoes try these adorable mint oxfords from Asos, a yellow purse, and a pair of mint flowers to complete the look!
Outfit Number Two
This look screams summer from the button up oxford to the striped pattern! It would be perfect for a day spent shopping, on the beach or out to lunch with friends.
To recreate this look try an oxford dress, and add a leather belt, a change purse necklace and a pair of woven white oxfords.
Outfit Number Three
Lastly, this look was my absolute favorite look of the entire collection! From the hair piece to the floral frock, this look is super fun and flirty.
To recreate this look try this dress from Alice+Olivia, and pair it with orange beads, retro teal pumps and a light blue hair wrap.
What do you think of Karen Walker’s designs? Would you wear any of these looks? Let me know in a comment below!
*Sparkle On and Wear Bows*