Meet the man behind the embroidered crocodile, Rene Lacoste. Rene’s nickname was “the Crocodile”, as a French Tennis player in the 1920s. who create his own uniform with a short sleeve cotton polo with the now famous crocodile symbol. Lacoste’s brand looks beyond the fashion fad of the moment, to show that classic sportswear can never go out of style. Read on to learn more about Rene’s style and the brand’s evolution!
A Bit of Background
- Lacoste was one of the Four Musketeers, who were French tennis stars that dominate in the 1920s to the 1930s.
- He won seven Grand Slam singles in the French, American and British championships.
- After retiring from competitive tennis, Lacoste formed his company and began to market his shirts.
- He was one of the first designers to brand his clothing with the logo on the outside of the garment.
- Later on this design was introduced to the gold market, which the brand became a staple if the upscale, easy living of the country club.
- The revival of preppy fashion in the 1970’s and 80’s gave the Lacoste polo a boost in appeal, which was worn in a variety of styles. From tucked to untucked, or with a popped collar, this shirt will be a fashion staple for decades to come.
Outfit Number One
This look was featured in Lacoste’s 2012 Spring collection, and is a sweet and chic look for a rainy but warm spring day!
To recreate this look, start witha pair of navy high shorts, and tuck in a simple white blouse. For outerwear try a trench coat style cape, and a pair of wedge sandals, (these ones are super cute and have a bow!). Lastly I added a fun statement necklace, and a bubble style umbrella!
Outfit Number Two
This second look, features two colors that I wouldn’t necessarily intuitively pair together. Yet as Tango Tangerine, is Pantone’s color of the year, and my favorite color being pink, Lacoste shows that the combination of these colors creates an easy going summery vibe.
To recreate this look I found this adorable dress from Tobi which combines the perfect combo of tangerine and magenta! For accessories keep it bright and summery, from a cocktail ring to a pair of white wedges, this look is perfect for a summer night out!
Outfit Number Three
This look is Lacoste at the Beach. I’ve always loved the combination of pink and green, it reminds me of watermelon! For this look I chose a magenta bikini, which would match perfectly with a green and white dress with a magenta belt, and some adorable Lacoste skimmers for shoes! For accessories, try a Lacoste beach towel, tote and an adorable hat!
Outfit Number Four
Lastly, I included this look because of Lacoste’s founding roots, but added a bit of sparkle and flair! I love this Lacoste top, and the way it pairs with a white skirt, nike sneakers and a variety of fun red accessories!
Do you like Lacoste’s designs? Would you ever wear any of their clothes? What do you think about these looks? Let me know in a comment below! *Sparkle On and Wear Bows*