We’ve come a long way. Power dressing now is designed to let the woman inside us come through.
Donna Karan, is a born and bred American designer, whose aesthetics are truly chic and sexy.
Fun Facts about Donna Karan
- Born Donna Ivy Faske, on October 2, 1948. Her stepfather was a tailor and her mother was a model.
- She started selling clothing on Cedarhurst, New York’s Central Avenue at age 14.
- Upon graduating from Hewlett High School in 1966, and then went onto study at Parsons The New School for Design for two years.
- She left parsons to work for Anne Klein, and eventually she became the head of the Anne Klein design-team and remained there until 1989.
- At that time, she launched her Essentials line and her “Seven Easy Pieces”.
- Her “Seven Easy Pieces”, such as a body suit, wrap skirt, a chiffon blouse, a long jacket, leggings, blazer, and dresses are interchangeable pieces that can be used for day or night. The simple system allows one to mix and match, while looking chic without trying.
- In 1988, she launched DKNY, a more affordable line that reflected the modern New York City lifestyle.
- Donna Karan is a Libra and she believes heavily in astrology.
- In 2001, Louis Vitton Moet Hennessy, fashion giant aquired DKNY Inc. in a $243 million deal.
- As of October 2006, Mark Weber is CEo of Donna Karan International.
It’s really easy to get colors right. It’s really hard to get black – and neutrals – right. Black is certainly a color but it’s also an illusion.
This look is all about working black and neutrals for a fun, yet chic outfit! For the silhouette I chose to go with some basic pieces in honor of Donna’s essential collection, with a black pencil skirt, and white button up blouse. For shoes, try a pair of brown boots, that match with the brown gloves and black coat. As for accessories Donna Karan loves statement necklaces, and this amber necklace completes the look!
I’d rather promote New York than anything else in this world because New York to me means the world.
Donna Karan loves New York, and this look is inspired by a chic, outfit comprised of simple pieces. Aside from her love of the city, Donna also loves showing off a woman’s shoulders, so this tanktop and vest combo is perfect! For pants go with a pair of lighter wash jeans, pair with sandals, shades and another statement necklace and you’ll be good to go!
What do you think of Donna Karan’s designs? Will you be adding any statement necklaces or shoulder bearing tops this Spring? What designer would you like to see featured next? Let me know!