Some of you may recognize him as one of the judges from the hit reality show Project Runway, or perhaps you’ve seen his lovely handbags embossed with MK’s. Michael Kors is an American designer whose designs reflect the marriage of wearable, yet minimalist fashion. A multitalented individual with stunning clothes, and witty quotes makes Michael Kors this week’s Monday Musing’s designer! Read on for more information on this great designer and how to add a bit of casual sassiness into your wardrobe!
Some Fun Facts
- Michael Kors was born as Karl Anderson Jr., on August 9, 1959 in Long Island New York to a former model Joan Krystosek Kors and Karl Anderson.
- After his mother remarried Karl Anderson Jr. changed his name to Michael David Kors when he was just five years old.
- Michael Kors began designing clothes at age 19.
- Kors studied fashion design at the Fashion Institute of Technology.
- Yet Michael dropped out of FIT, and began designing for small, hip Manhattan boutiques.
- In 1981, major department stores such as Bloomingdales, Lord & Taylor, and Saks began to carry Kors’ womenswear line.
- Kors has won two Council of Fashion Designers of America, awards, and is the youngest recipient of the CFDA’s Geoffrey Beene Lifetime Achievement Award.
- Kors has designed for such celebrities as Jessica Simpson, Mary J. Blige, Pierce Brosnan, Charlize Theron and Usher.
- In 2009 First Lady Michelle Obama chose a Michael Kors piece to wear in her first presidential portrait.
- While he started designing clothes, Kors has branched out into a line of accessories such as handbags, belts as well as perfumes.
- His fragrance ‘Island Michael Kors’ has had such success that four special editions have been created since it’s launch in 2005.
Michael Kors 2012 Spring Collection features clothes that crawled out of the jungle, and by crawl I mean strutted without a spec of dirt on them. Kors has always enjoyed safari inspired looks, as a fun yet casual way to spice up day wear.
I was thinking of calling this outfit ‘Klassic Kors’…but realized that would be way too Kardashian.
This look was featured in Kors’ Spring 2011 collection, and while the model is wearing pants I chose to go with a gray skirt and white blouse combination. The trench coat is made by Michael Kors’ and has awesome leather belt detailing on the cuffs! For accessories I tried to match the brown of the belt through the purse, sunglasses and umbrella!
What do you think of Michael Kors’ fashions? Are they wearable enough for you? Comment below and let me know!