Coco Chanel, synonymous for French Chic, is a fashion icon, and was an influential designer for women in the twentieth century. Her clothes were inspired from her free and independent lifestyle, which makes her this week’s featured designer.
“Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening.”- Coco Chanel
Coco Chanel’s Bio
- Gabriel “Coco” Chanel was born in the Loire Valley of France, in 1883, and was one of five children.
- She grew up in an impoverished family, her mother passed away when she was twelve years old. Leaving her in the care of relatives and later spent six years in an orphanage.
- In 1910, she became a licensed hat maker and opened her first store.
- Twelve years later she introduced Chanel No. 5 her first perfume, which mixed artificial and natural scents.
- In 1925, Coco introduced the “Little Black Dress”to the world
- She returned from Cannes with a sunburn, popularizing tanning.
- With WWII the fashion business died down, but in 1953 Chanel came back to haute couture after the war, and created the Chanel suit, a status symbol for the generation. The suits were made of solid or tweed fabric and featured a slim skirt, gold buttons and pockets. Coco loved pockets!
- When Coco passed away there were only three outfits found in her Rue Cambon apartment.
- Since 1983, Karl Lagerfeld has been the chief fashion designer for Chanel’s fashion house.
- Her favorite color palette was black, beige, and white.
- Popularized costume jewelry by mixing faux pearls and real gems.
- Her shoes are often two toned, and quilted, like her purses.
- At her first store she used jersey to create sportswear clothing, for active women. At the time jersey was used only for men’s undergarments.
“A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous.”- Coco Chanel
This dress is perfect, it has a sweetheart neckline to show some shape, but the sheer sleeves is a conservative way to show some skin, while looking classy. Since the dress is such a statement piece I kept the accessories on the theme of black, white and gold. For jewelry, I included two pairs of Chanel earrings, along with a pearl bow bracelet. For shoes I love these Chanel pumps with a pearl in the heel, how classy is that! Unfortunately those shoes are so far out of my budget that I had to include these cute kitten heels from Modcloth that keep the black and white vintage vibe for a great price.
“Luxury must be comfortable, otherwise it is not luxury.”- Coco Chanel
I can’t count the number of times that I have left my apartment in the most uncomfortable shoes, just because they look cute. Coco created beautiful clothes that are just as comfortable as they are beautiful. I wanted to create an outfit that was comfortable, yet cute and chic. For the base I chose this cute shirt from Forever 21, (It’s only $9.99), which has a No. 1 perfume bottle with a red ribbon printed on it, that goes perfectly with black skinny jeans. I then found this beautiful red colored Chanel nail polish that goes with these adorable Chanel flats and purse. I also included a pair of black ballet flats from Chanel, with a black Chanel chain clutch and some black and gold Chanel earrings. The bracelet is timeless, and so chic that would dress up any casual outfit.
“A woman who doesn’t wear perfume has no future.” -Coco Chanel
Coco’s Chanel No.5 perfume, is just such a great scent that I had to feature it in this post. It is rumored that Chanel would have this sprayed all over her home, something that I would love to do!
What do you guys think? Do you enjoy Chanel’s Chic style as much as I do?